According to top-mba-universities, Washburn, North Dakota is a small city located in McLean County. It is situated on the banks of the Missouri River, and its location provides stunning views of the river and surrounding countryside. The town has a population of approximately 2,000 people, making it one of the smallest cities in North Dakota.
The geography of Washburn is quite diverse, with rolling hills and plains that provide plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities such as hiking and camping. The climate is temperate with four distinct seasons. Summers are hot and humid while winters are cold with plenty of snowfall.
The history of Washburn dates back to 1887 when it was founded by former fur traders who had settled in the area to take advantage of the abundant natural resources. The city quickly grew into an important hub for commerce and transportation due to its strategic location on the Missouri River.
Politically, Washburn is part of North Dakota’s Republican stronghold; however, local elections tend to be more progressive than those held statewide. Economically, Washburn relies heavily on agriculture as well as tourism from visitors who come to take advantage of its natural beauty.
Washburn has several schools that serve its students from kindergarten through high school. These include public schools such as Washburn High School and private institutions like St. John’s Lutheran School and Trinity Lutheran Academy.
Finally, there are many landmarks in Washburn that attract tourists from around the world including Fort Mandan—the site where Lewis & Clark spent their first winter—and Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park which allows visitors to explore the legacy left behind by General Custer’s 7th Cavalry Regiment during their march westward in 1876-77. Additionally, visitors can enjoy historic sites such as Old Town Hall Museum or explore nature at nearby Turtle Lake State Park or Lake Sakakawea State Park.
Population: 1,389. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,264 (-9.0% change)
Males: 702 (50.5%), Females: 687 (49.5%)
Zip code: 58577
Median resident age: 40.5 years
Median household income: $40,789
Median house value: $67,400
Races in Washburn:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.5%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
- Hispanic (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (59.4%), Norwegian (29.7%), Swedish (9.0%), Irish (8.1%), Russian (4.4%), French (4.2%).
Elevation: 1731 feet
Land area: 1.8 square miles
Washburn is a small city located in central North Dakota with a population of 1,731 as of the 2010 Census. The city is located on the banks of the Missouri River and is the county seat of McLean County. Washburn’s main industries are agriculture and oil production. Much of the land surrounding Washburn is used for farming and ranching, while oil production has become increasingly important to the local economy over the years. The town also serves as a regional hub for retail, services, and entertainment. There are several restaurants, bars, cafes, shops, and other businesses that serve both local residents and visitors to the area. Washburn prides itself on its small-town charm and hospitable atmosphere. People from all walks of life can be found in this friendly community where everyone knows their neighbor’s name. Education is also an important part of life in Washburn; there are four schools within city limits – an elementary school, middle school, high school, and college – all offering quality education to students from pre-K through college level courses. In addition to these four schools there are also two libraries located in town for those interested in furthering their education or researching topics of interest. Outdoor activities such as fishing, hunting, camping, boating and more can be enjoyed at nearby parks or along the banks of the Missouri River. With its close proximity to larger cities such as Minot and Bismarck it’s easy to access additional amenities if desired while still maintaining that small-town ambiance that makes Washburn so special!
For population 25 years and over in Washburn
- High school or higher: 86.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 18.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.4%
- Unemployed: 3.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Washburn city
- Never married: 21.1%
- Now married: 64.8%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 5.6%
- Divorced: 7.7%
0.4% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -106 (-7.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Washburn:
- COMMUNITY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL-CAH (about 21 miles; TURTLE LAKE, ND)
- SCCI HOSPITAL – CENTRAL DAKOTAS (about 34 miles; MANDAN, ND)
- ST ALEXIUS MEDICAL CENTER (about 36 miles; BISMARCK, ND)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Washburn:
- BISMARCK MUNI (about 42 miles; BISMARCK, ND; Abbreviation: BIS)
- MINOT INTL (about 68 miles; MINOT, ND; Abbreviation: MOT)
- MINOT AFB (about 80 miles; MINOT, ND; Abbreviation: MIB)
Other public-use airports nearest to Washburn:
- WASHBURN MUNI (about 5 miles; WASHBURN, ND; Abbreviation: 5C8)
- TURTLE LAKE MUNICIPAL (about 17 miles; TURTLE LAKE, ND; Abbreviation: 91N)
- GARRISON DAM RECREATIONAL AIRPARK (about 29 miles; RIVERDALE, ND; Abbreviation: 37N)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Washburn:
- BISMARCK STATE COLLEGE (about 36 miles; BISMARCK, ND; Full-time enrollment: 2,205)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY (about 41 miles; BISMARCK, ND; Full-time enrollment: 2,203)
- MINOT STATE UNIVERSITY (about 69 miles; MINOT, ND; Full-time enrollment: 2,662)
- NORTHERN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 216 miles; ABERDEEN, SD; Full-time enrollment: 2,356)
- SOUTH DAKOTA SCHOOL OF MINES AND TECHNOLOGY (about 268 miles; RAPID CITY, SD; Full-time enrollment: 2,002)
- BLACK HILLS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 275 miles; SPEARFISH, SD; Full-time enrollment: 3,190)
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA-MAIN CAMPUS (about 277 miles; GRAND FORKS, ND; Full-time enrollment: 9,935)
Public high school in Washburn:
- WASHBURN HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 180; Location: 713 7TH ST; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Washburn:
- WASHBURN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 157; Location: 713 7TH ST; Grades: PK – 06)