State Route 51 in Oklahoma
State Route 51 is a state route in the U.S. state of Oklahoma. The road forms a long east-west route from the Texas border to the Arkansas border. The main town on the route is Tulsa, where the road has been extended as a freeway to the suburb of Broken Arrow. The road is a total of 536 kilometers long.
- SEARCHFORPUBLICSCHOOLS: Provides a list of all public primary and high schools in Oklahoma, including street address, contact phone, and zip code for each school.
SR-51 takes a straight east-west route through western Oklahoma. The road begins on the Texas border, from where US 60 continues on to Canadian. The SR-51 is then over the first about 100 kilometers to Seiling with the US 60 double numbered. It then crosses a number of US Highways, and the road continues east through central northern Oklahoma as a secondary road. It passes well north of Oklahoma City and crosses Interstate 35 at Orlando. The road then leads through the town of Stillwater. Between I-35 and Stillwater, SR-51 has 2×2 lanes. More east, the road runs parallel to the Cimarron Turnpike, and joins Sand Springs on US 64 in.
- USPRIVATESCHOOLSFINDER.COM: Provides a list of all private primary and elementary schools in Oklahoma, including street address, contact phone, and zip code for each school.
Tulsa & Eastern Oklahoma
The route is largely double-numbered through Tulsa with US 64. East of US 169 (Mango Valley Expressway), SR-51 forms an individual seven-mile stretch of highway through eastern Tulsa and the suburb of Broken Arrow. This section is called the Broken Arrow Expressway, and has 2×4, later 2×3 lanes. At the Muskogee Turnpike, SR-51 exits, taking a four-lane route southeast to Coweta, then east to Wagoner. After this one crosses reservoirs, and one reaches Tahlequah, the last larger core on the route. The eastern portion of SR-51 is of a very secondary nature and terminates at the border with Arkansas.
State Highway 51 was established on June 1, 1927, as a fairly short east-west route from Stilwell to Eldon. The route was extended to Tulsa in 1928, and from Stilwell to the Arkansas border in 1933. Between 1938 and 1941, the road was extended much further west through Stillwater to the Texas border. The highway section through Tulsa and Broken Arrow was opened to traffic in 1966. It was one of the oldest highways in the Tulsa region.
State Route 74 in Oklahoma
State Route 74 abbreviated OK-74 or SR-74 is a state route in the U.S. state of Oklahoma. SR-74 has three sections, a main road between Tatums and Goldsby in the south of the state, a highway in the city of Oklahoma City, and a main road between Oklahoma City and Deer Creek. The highway is known as the Hefner Parkway, named after Lake Hefner in the city. The entire route is 232 kilometers long, and the highway section is 14 kilometers long.
OK-74 begins at an intersection with OK-7 near the village of Tatums in southern Oklahoma. The road is a regular two-lane country road and heads north into the Oklahoma City metropolitan area. The road leads through rolling countryside with only a few small villages. The southern section ends south of Norman at a junction with Interstate 35.
The Hefner Parkway in Oklahoma City.
The Oklahoma City freeway begins at the interchange with the Interstate on the northwest side of downtown. This is also where the OK-66 exits, a main road to the western suburbs. There are 2×4 lanes here, but after the first exit it narrows to 2×3 lanes. One passes right by Lake Hefner, a lake in the city of Oklahoma City, after which the highway is named. One passes through the sprawling sparsely built suburbs of northern Oklahoma City. The highway then crosses the John Kilpatrick Turnpike, the toll road which is a bypassforms to the north and west of Oklahoma City. The freeway then continues for 2 miles until the intersection with NW 164th Street. After this, the road is formed by Portland Avenue, a two-lane road.
North of Oklahoma City, OK-74 is another country road and leads across the flat prairies. At Cimarron City one crosses the Cimarron River. OK-74 runs parallel to Interstate 35 for 12 miles, passing well east of the town of Enid. The road has long straights without bends. At Lamont, one crosses the Salt Fork of the Arkansas River. OK-74 eventually ends west of the hamlet of Deer Creek at OK-11, 20 miles south of the Kansas border.
OK-74 was originally a through route, but with the construction of Interstate 35, the section between Norman and Oklahoma City was scrapped in 1979. OK-74 thus consisted of two parts, an 85 kilometer long southern part and a 147 kilometer long northern part.
The southernmost portion of the freeway between I-44 and SH 3 was constructed in the 1980s. From there to the Kilpatrick Turnpike, the highway was built in one go and opened in 1992.
Due to the suburbanization further north of Oklahoma City, the road has gradually been widened to 4 lanes, of which the southernmost part has been extended as a freeway, and the rest as a five-lane road with center turn lane. In 2010, the section between Covell Road and Waterloo Road was widened from 1×2 to 1×5 lanes. On February 2, 2015, a project began to extend the freeway 3 kilometers north to NW 164th Street. This project cost $34 million and opened approximately June 30, 2016. Subsequently, in 2018-2019, the remaining section between NW 164th Street and Covell Road was widened to 5 lanes. This completed the widening of OK-74 in Oklahoma County.
Despite the fact that the highway hardly has a through function, the highway is fairly busy, with 101,863 vehicles per day passing Lake Hefner.