According to top-mba-universities, North Port, Florida is located in the southern part of the state, directly on the Gulf Coast. It has a subtropical climate with hot and humid summers and mild winters. The city was founded in 1959, and its population has grown steadily since then. North Port has a mayor-council form of government and is governed by an elected mayor and five council members. The economy of North Port is largely centered around retail, manufacturing, healthcare, education, hospitality, and tourism.
The city of North Port is home to several public schools as well as some private schools. The public schools are part of the Sarasota County School District and are highly rated for their academic excellence. There are also several higher education institutions nearby including State College of Florida Manatee-Sarasota and University of South Florida Sarasota-Manatee which offer various degrees for students looking to further their studies.
North Port is home to many landmarks that draw tourists from all over the world every year. Some of these include Myakka State Park which offers camping, hiking trails, fishing spots, bird watching areas and more; Warm Mineral Springs which features mineral water pools; Charlotte Harbor Preserve State Park with its mangrove forests; Lemon Bay Park with its expansive beach area; and a variety of other parks offering recreational activities like biking trails or picnic areas. There are also many cultural attractions such as the Heron Creek Golf Club which hosts golf tournaments throughout the year or the North Port Performing Arts Center which puts on plays or musicals throughout the year.
Population: 22,797. Estimated population in July 2020: 42,253 (+85.3% change)
Males: 10,895 (47.8%), Females: 11,902 (52.2%)
Zip codes: 34286, 34287.
Median resident age: 40.8 years
Median household income: $36,560
Median house value: $84,200
Races in North Port:
- White Non-Hispanic (90.5%)
- Black (4.2%)
- Hispanic (3.2%)
- Two or more races (1.7%)
- Other race (0.7%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
Ancestries: German (21.7%), Irish (15.8%), English (11.8%), Italian (8.5%), United States (8.2%), French (4.9%).
Elevation: 11 feet
Land area: 74.8 square miles
North Port, Florida is a city located in Sarasota County. It is the largest city in the county with a population of 60,597 as of 2019. The population has grown steadily since 2000, when there were only 28,979 people living in North Port. The city has a diverse racial makeup, with White (63.2%), Hispanic or Latino (20.4%), African American (14.2%), and Asian (1.7%) making up the majority of its population. The median age is 42 years old, and the median household income is $44,714 per year.
The majority of North Port’s workforce are employed in either retail trade or health care fields; these two sectors make up 39% of all jobs in the city as of 2018. Manufacturing and construction also make up significant portions of employment at 12% and 10%, respectively. Education services account for 8% of employment opportunities in North Port, while transportation and warehousing make up 6%. Other major industries include professional services at 6%, finance and insurance at 5%, and leisure and hospitality at 4%. A large portion of North Port’s economy is made up by small businesses that employ fewer than 50 people each; these businesses account for 40% of all jobs in the city as of 2018.
For population 25 years and over in North Port
- High school or higher: 80.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 11.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.3%
- Unemployed: 3.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in North Port city
- Never married: 15.6%
- Now married: 62.2%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 9.5%
- Divorced: 11.0%
12.1% Foreign born (7.4% Europe, 3.4% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +10,749 (+89.2%).
Hospitals/medical centers near North Port:
- FAWCETT MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 8 miles; PORT CHARLOTTE, FL)
- ST JOSEPH HOSPITAL PORT CHARLOTTE (about 8 miles; PORT CHARLOTTE, FL)
- CHARLOTTE REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 14 miles; PUNTA GORDA, FL)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to North Port:
- CHARLOTTE COUNTY (about 17 miles; PUNTA GORDA, FL; Abbreviation: PGD)
- SARASOTA/BRADENTON INTL (about 35 miles; SARASOTA/BRADENTON, FL; Abbreviation: SRQ)
- SOUTHWEST FLORIDA INTL (about 47 miles; FORT MYERS, FL; Abbreviation: RSW)
Other public-use airports nearest to North Port:
- BUCHAN (about 15 miles; ENGLEWOOD, FL; Abbreviation: X36)
- VENICE MUNI (about 19 miles; VENICE, FL; Abbreviation: VNC)
- SHELL CREEK AIRPARK (about 21 miles; PUNTA GORDA, FL; Abbreviation: F13)
Amtrak station near North Port:
- 10 miles: PORT CHARLOTTE (909 KINGS HWY.) – Bus Station. Services: public payphones.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to North Port:
- MANATEE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 38 miles; BRADENTON, FL; Full-time enrollment: 4,539)
- FLORIDA GULF COAST UNIVERSITY (about 39 miles; FT MYERS, FL; Full-time enrollment: 2,466)
- EDISON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 40 miles; FT MYERS, FL; Full-time enrollment: 5,032)
- HILLSBOROUGH COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 64 miles; TAMPA, FL; Full-time enrollment: 9,630)
- UNIVERSITY OF TAMPA (about 64 miles; TAMPA, FL; Full-time enrollment: 2,963)
- TRAVIS TECHNICAL CENTER (about 67 miles; LAKELAND, FL; Full-time enrollment: 2,057)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH FLORIDA (about 71 miles; TAMPA, FL; Full-time enrollment: 26,221)
Public high school in North Port:
- NORTH PORT HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,509; Location: 6400 W PRICE BOULEVARD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in North Port:
- HERON CREEK MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 1,535; Location: 6501 W PRICE BOULEVARD; Grades: 06 – 08)
- GLENALLEN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 1,101; Location: 7050 GLENALLEN BOULEVARD; Grades: PK – 05)
- TOLEDO BLADE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 1,045; Location: 1201 GERANIUM AVENUE; Grades: PK – 05)
- CRANBERRY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 583; Location: 1212 KNOTTY PINE AVE; Grades: PK – 05)