Millsboro, Delaware is a town located in southern Sussex County. It has a population of 4,844 people as of the 2019 census. The town is situated near the Indian River Bay and Rehoboth Bay, giving it access to both saltwater and freshwater activities. The climate in Millsboro is humid subtropical with hot summers and mild winters. See harvardshoes for main cities in Delaware.
The history of Millsboro dates back to the early 1700s when it was first settled by English colonists. The town experienced rapid growth during the 19th century due to its location on the railroad line between Philadelphia and Washington D.C.. This growth was further bolstered by a thriving agricultural industry in the area, with local farmers growing corn, wheat, and other produce for sale in nearby cities.
Today, Millsboro is a politically conservative town with an economy based mainly on agriculture and tourism. There are several schools located within the town limits including Sussex Central High School and Indian River High School. There are also numerous landmarks that make up part of Millsboro’s history including St. George’s Chapel, which dates back to 1786; the historic Millsboro Town Hall; and several old mills along the Nanticoke River which were used for grinding grain in years past.
Population: 2,360. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,505 (+6.1% change)
Males: 981 (41.6%), Females: 1,379 (58.4%)
Zip code: 19966
Median resident age: 43.1 years
Median household income: $27,379
Median house value: $92,200
Races in Millsboro:
- White Non-Hispanic (72.5%)
- Black (19.4%)
- Hispanic (3.1%)
- Korean (2.4%)
- Other race (1.6%)
- American Indian (1.4%)
- Two or more races (1.3%)
Ancestries: English (14.8%), German (10.6%), Irish (10.6%), United States (5.8%), Italian (2.5%), Dutch (1.9%).
Elevation: 26 feet
Land area: 1.7 square miles
Millsboro, Delaware is a small town located in Sussex County. The population of Millsboro is estimated to be around 2,851. The majority of the population are white, making up 81.7% of the total population. African-Americans make up 8.5%, Asians make up 5.6%, and Hispanic or Latino residents make up 4%. The median age in Millsboro is 47, with a gender ratio of 51% females and 49% males.
The average household size in Millsboro is 2.38 people and the median household income is $50,943 per year. The most common occupations for those living in Millsboro are management occupations (14%), sales and related occupations (13%), and office and administrative support occupations (11%). Education levels are also high among the population with 20% having a bachelor’s degree or higher and 10% having an associate’s degree or some college experience.
The town has several recreational activities available as well as cultural attractions such as the Indian River Life-Saving Station Museum which showcases artifacts related to maritime history along the Delaware coast. There are also two public parks located within town limits, including Tuckahoe State Park which offers hiking trails, camping areas, picnic areas, and more outdoor activities for visitors to enjoy. Additionally, there are many restaurants nearby offering different types of cuisine from American to Italian to Chinese food options for locals to enjoy on their days off from work or school.
For population 25 years and over in Millsboro
- High school or higher: 73.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 14.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.5%
- Unemployed: 3.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Millsboro town
- Never married: 20.3%
- Now married: 49.3%
- Separated: 2.4%
- Widowed: 14.9%
- Divorced: 13.1%
5.4% Foreign born (3.2% Asia, 2.0% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +672 (+39.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Millsboro:
- BEEBE MEDICAL CENTER (about 15 miles; LEWES, DE)
- ATLANTIC GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 19 miles; BERLIN, MD)
- NANTICOKE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL INC (about 23 miles; SEAFORD, DE)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Millsboro:
- SALISBURY-OCEAN CITY WICOMICO REGIONAL (about 23 miles; SALISBURY, MD; Abbreviation: SBY)
- DOVER AFB (about 38 miles; DOVER, DE; Abbreviation: DOV)
- NEW CASTLE COUNTY (about 78 miles; WILMINGTON, DE; Abbreviation: ILG)
Other public-use airports nearest to Millsboro:
- SUSSEX COUNTY (about 8 miles; GEORGETOWN, DE; Abbreviation: GED)
- LAUREL (about 21 miles; LAUREL, DE; Abbreviation: N06)
- OCEAN CITY MUNI (about 24 miles; OCEAN CITY, MD; Abbreviation: OXB)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Millsboro:
- DELAWARE TECHNICAL AND COMMUNITY COLLEGE-OWENS (about 10 miles; GEORGETOWN, DE; Full-time enrollment: 2,053)
- SALISBURY STATE UNIVERSITY (about 27 miles; SALISBURY, MD; Full-time enrollment: 5,645)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND-EASTERN SHORE (about 39 miles; PRINCESS ANNE, MD; Full-time enrollment: 2,940)
- DELAWARE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 43 miles; Dover, DE; Full-time enrollment: 2,641)
- UNIVERSITY OF DELAWARE (about 71 miles; NEWARK, DE; Full-time enrollment: 17,786)
- ATLANTIC CAPE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 72 miles; MAYS LANDING, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 3,086)
- DELAWARE TECHNICAL & COMM COLL-STANTON-WILMINGTON (about 77 miles; NEWARK, DE; Full-time enrollment: 3,817)
Public primary/middle schools in Millsboro:
- SUSSEX CENTRAL MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 1,035; Location: 302 EAST STATE STREET; Grades: 06 – 08)
- EAST MILLSBORO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 651; Location: 500 EAST STATE STREET; Grades: PK – 05)
- LONG NECK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 537; Location: RD 10 BOX 452; Grades: PK – 05)
Library in Millsboro:
- MILLSBORO PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $164,611; Location: 217 WEST STATE STREET; 22,487 books; 852 audio materials; 735 video materials; 80 serial subscriptions)